Peter Moyer published the first issue of the Berlin Daily News on Feb. 9, 1878. Berlin was Kitchener’s name until 1916.
It is to the Daily News that today’s Record sets its daily historical clock. Moyer anticipated his newspaper would run into “rough handling from its very birth.” Sometimes he paid his staff in goods shopkeepers left behind to cover advertising bills.
German, English, daily, weekly – Berlin readers were swamped by newspapers in the late 1800s. For about six months in 1896, Berlin had three dailies – the Daily News, the Daily Record and the Daily Telegraph.
Ben Uttley, a teacher-turned-newspaperman, created the Berlin News-Record by merging his Daily Record with Moyer’s Daily News in 1897.
There is another important branch to The Record’s family tree. John Motz and Friedrich Rittinger published the first issue of a German weekly, The Berliner Journal, on Dec. 29, 1859. The Journal would continue for the next 65 years, outliving almost 20 local and area papers.
By 1919, it was owned by W.J. Motz, John Motz’s son, and politician W.D. Euler. That year, they did an extraordinary thing for proprietors of a weekly paper – they bought a daily, Uttley’s News Record.
They renamed it the Kitchener Daily Record and published out of 49 King St. W. The Daily Record took over the Daily Telegraph in 1922.